"Well, Govan, if we must die, let us die like men."
Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

HK At (My Great Grandfather's Monument)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: HK At (My Great Grandfather's Monument) Reply with quote

http://www.vancnews.com/articles/2004/05/19/warrenton/news/news02.txt

This is the monument to my great grandfather, John Pelopidus Leach. It was erected at the time of his death in 1914 and depicts two hands shaking, one black and one white, with the inscription: "This Is What He Meant - All Men Up, Erected By His Colored Friends."

When he was nineteen years of age, Private Leach surrendered at Appomattox and walked home to North Carolina with his black friend and companion, Needham Leach. Later in life, Private Leach represented Warren County as a State Senator in 1892 and as the Presiding Judge of the Criminal Court of the same county from 1892 to 1896. He continued to love and cherish the Confederate Battle Flag until the day he died. During those years he offered free firewood to those in need and divided land into smaller than normal size lots and sold them at reduced rates to enable the poor to be become homeowners. He also donated the land for the Enon Baptist Church (Black) in Littleton.

(More coming. BT)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: