"Well, Govan, if we must die, let us die like men."
Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

(MY Great Uncle James Spencer Pippen)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: (MY Great Uncle James Spencer Pippen) Reply with quote

My great Uncle, James Spencer Pippen (1st Sgt.) fought with Claiborne's Partisan Rangers, (7th Confederate Cavalry) [See below for short history of unit, kindness of Arleigh Birchler] and the NC 16th Battalion Cavalry being wounded at the end and paroled April 11, 1865, Farmville, Virginia while in the hospital. He had killed many a Yank. His doubled barreled shotgun that he carried all through the War eventually ended up in his Grandson's possession and on the Grandson's (Dr. Spencer Bass) deathbed, he (Dr. Bass) called my cousin, Bill Bass over to his bed stating to get Uncle Spencer's gun, as he wanted to give it to him. Now, Dr. Bass is fully aware that he won't be around much longer, but wants to take care of everything that is important to him. My cousin brings the gun to the bed, thanks him and asks if Uncle Spencer had actually killed any Yankees with it. Dr. Bass struggles up on one elbow and shortly collapses, but not before firmly stating, "I HOPE SO"!!!!!!

CLAIBORNE'S PARTISAN RANGERS

"Claiborne's Partisan Rangers were also known as the 7th Confederate Cavalry. Parts of this outfit might have been originally recruited in tidewater North Carolina for resistance to Union occupation under General Burnside. The Partisan Ranger Act was passed by the Confederate Congress in June of 1862. Various Partisan Ranger outfits might have been combined to form the 7th Confederate Cavalry. Their commanders were Colonel William C Claiborne and Lt Colonel Thomas D Claiborne.

Claiborne's Partisans were composed of companies from Georgia and North Carolina. (They are sometimes confused with the 7th Battalion Confederate Cavalry and the 7th North Carolina Cavalry.) The Seventh Confederate Cavalry operated behind enemy lines in tidewater North Carolina and near the Great Dismal Swamp helping James Longstreet gather food for the Army of Northern Virginia. About a dozen members of the unit died at Point Lookout. Most of the prisoners at Point Lookout were taken at Gettysburg in July 1863 and many of the Claiborne's Partisans were captured at Deep Bottom during the final defense of Richmond.

In early 1864 the Confederate Congress dissolved all Partisan Ranger units. The 7th Confederate Cavalry was reorganized in July 1864. Companies A, B, C, D, E, K, and L went to the 10th Georgia Cavalry, State Guard. The 10th Georgia fought south of the James River, in North and South Carolina , finally surrendering to the Army of Tennessee. They were commanded by Lt Colonel Thomas D Claiborne. Companies F, G, H, I, and M of the 7th Confederate Cavalry went to 16th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: