"Well, Govan, if we must die, let us die like men."
Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

(My G, G Grandfather) Emanuel Frederick Bryan Koonce

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: (My G, G Grandfather) Emanuel Frederick Bryan Koonce Reply with quote

(Sara Whitford's, who is a member of my Carteret Homeschoolers organization, ancestor adopted my fifth great grandfather after the rest of his family were killed. Small world. I noticed her email address had Tuscarora in it, and when I asked her about it, Bingo~ BT)
--------
(Koonce is my surname, as my aunt adopted me after my mother died at 28 when I was 13 months old. [Actually, I lived with my grandparents until 5]. BT)
My great, great grandfather, E.F.B. Koonce, was a Corporal in Company G, 2nd NC, and was killed in action on May 3, 1863 at the Battle of Chancellorsville.
Click to enlarge.

On September 23, 1711, my 6X grandfather, his wife, and five of his six children were killed by the Tuscarora Indians at Core Creek, NC,

and I have found the place where it occurred. This branch of my forefathers came over in 1709 with the Swiss-Palatines who founded New Bern in 1710.

The Indians went on the killing spree after continual encroachment upon their lands that moved up the river from New Bern. The slaughter occurred over a period of three days, and about 200 settlers were killed. The massacre was a Day of Remembrance in NC for over 100 years, and reports state that the women were killed by having saplings forced into their vaginas.

The Tuscarora were almost wiped out later as a result.

http://tuscaroras.com/fortneoheroka/

"The Koonce family of North Carolina originated in the Palatinate, the region along the upper Rhine River in Southern Germany, which supplied a large proportion of the Swiss and German colonists who founded the town of New Bern, NC in 1710 under the leadership of Baron Christopher De Graffenreid. The founder of the family in North Carolina was Johann Christian Kunitzsli, which was anglicized to John Koonce. John, his wife, and six children, survived the hardships of the voyage to America only to encounter worst misfortunes upon arrival in Virginia in April 1710.

These Palatines who survived the arduous voyage traveled on foot to Colonel Thomas Pollock's plantation on the Chowan River instead of re-embarking in Virginia, because of the Privateers and the Sand Bars at the mouth of the James River. From there they crossed the Albemarle Sound into Bath County and were located in May or June by John Lawson on land between the Neuse and Trent Rivers, called by the Indians "Chattooka." They brought their Bibles, Hymn books, catechisms and long guns. It was from the long guns, originated and made exclusively in the Rhineland Region, that the famous Kentucky long rifles evolved. They settled on plantations allotted to them along the Neuse and Trent Rivers and their tributaries and lived prosperously until September 1711. When the tribes of the Tuscarora Indians became increasingly incensed by the encroachments of the white settlers, they combined forces and laid waste a large area, massacring a large proportion on the colonists, including one-third of the Swiss and Palatines of New Bern. John Koonce and his family, with the exception of one son, George, were included in this slaughter by the Indians."
(Core Creek, NC, September 23, 1711)

(This was a day of mourning in North Carolina for 100 years. I believe that I have found found the spot where they were killed, and reports have stated that the females were killed by having saplings forced into their vaginas. BT)

The Tuscarora War, 1711-1715
http://www.nchistoricsites.org/bath/tuscarora.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: