NamSouth NamSouth

"Well, Govan, if we must die, let us die like men."
Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Revised General Nathan Bedford Forrest Wikipedia Entry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> MAIN (No Longer Active)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: Revised General Nathan Bedford Forrest Wikipedia Entry Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

(Kindness of Michael Kelly. BT)

PostPosted:     Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an example of an accomplishment for those that are involved in true southern heritage defense and what they’re actually doing.

Hats off to Kelley….

MarkL
btownsend
Site Admin

I agree, but I sent him an email stating that it was excellent, though I thought "He favored the continuation of states' rights to preserve slavery......" should be changed so that it stated that there were other reasons beside slavery that he would have supported in the states' rights issue.
btownsend
Site Admin

TownsendL@cs.com wrote:

Excellent! I do have one question, though about this:

"He favored the continuation of states' rights to preserve slavery......:

Don't you think this should be altered to add other items beside slavery for his states' rights position?

Brock

To: TownsendL@cs.com

Done.

I also "tweaked" the following:

"Forrest went to work and soon raised a 6,000-man force of his own, which he led back into west Tennessee. He did not have the resources to retake the area and hold it, but he did have enough force to render it useless to the Union army. He led several more raids into the area, from Paducah, Kentucky, on March 25, 1864, to the controversial Battle of Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864. In that battle, Forrest demanded unconditional surrender, or else he would "put every man to the sword", language he frequently used to expedite a surrender. The battle's details remain disputed and controversial to this day. What is known is that Forrest's men stormed the lightly guarded fort, inflicting heavy casualties on its defenders who quickly fell into disarray as the Union command—already short several officers—collapsed.

Union commanders at Ft. Pillow had sheltered the white troops in "bombproofs" - dugout pits shielded with heavy timbers and earth - while placing the Colored Troops on the walls where they would bear the brunt of the assault and casualties. Only when the Colored Troops had been overrun and the fighting fell to white Union troops did the Union forces break and stream to the riverbanks and the support of Union river gunboats.

The placing of USCT in positions where they would absorb the heaviest casualties was a practice followed by Union forces throughout the war."

Col. Kelley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> MAIN (No Longer Active) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: