NamSouth NamSouth

"Well, Govan, if we must die, let us die like men."
Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Jefferson Davis & Congress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> MAIN (No Longer Active)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: Jefferson Davis & Congress Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/2erymw

(Kindness of Bazz. BT)
Votes are the currency of Congress, which members barter, trade, and sell like demented brokers, personal integrity be damned. This trading of what should be hard convictions is the Congressional national pastime.

Shortly before resigning his seat to fight in the Mexican War, Representative Jefferson Davis of Mississippi was asked by a colleague to vote for another measure so as to obtain a reciprocal vote for his own. This is what he had to say:

"Sir, I make no terms, I accept no compromises. If when I ask for an appropriation, the object shall be shown to be proper and the expenditure constitutional, I defy the gentleman, for his conscience’ sake, to vote against it. If it should appear to him otherwise, then I expect his opposition, and only ask that it be directly, fairly and openly exerted. The case shall be presented on its single merit; on that I wish to stand or fall."

Davis’ sentiments – indeed, his language – are manifestly incomprehensible to the congressman of today, with the noble exception of Rep Paul of Texas.

"The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws."
Tacitus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> MAIN (No Longer Active) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: